Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Planner Day -- The most wonderful time of the year

Today I bought my new monthly/weekly planner for the 2008-2009 academic school year. If you know me, then you know that this is my favorite day of the year. (Followed closely by Thanksgiving, which may seem strange for a pseudo-vegetarian, but I love love love mashed potatoes and stuffing and sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. LOVE.) I got to color-code entries (maroon for school stuff, blue for Kaplan stuff, pink for Hopkins stuff, and purple for "fun" stuff). See! It's exciting!

The new planner reminded me that teachers report back to work on August 19, which is in only 20 days, which is less than 3 weeks, which is also known as way too soon. I don't feel that I've had a true break this summer, what with two weeks of graduate classes, a week at an AP Institute, teaching SAT and GRE classes for Kaplan, and prepping like mad for the upcoming school year. Yeah, you could say that I'm pretty busy.

I've also had two separate nightmares about the first day of school. In both, I can't get the students to pay attention to anything. In the first one, I would finally get the class under control and then a random student would walk in the room to purposely disrupt everything and I would have to start all over getting everyone settled... repeat... repeat...repeat...wake up in a cold sweat.

But I'm excited about the first day of school -- really excited -- so I'm not sure why I'm apparently really freaked out about it as well. I've been excited about the first day of school since August 27th of last year -- the first day of my first year of teaching (and incidentally and perhaps ironically, my birthday). I ended that day thinking, "well, I sure did mess that up -- can't wait to try that again next year!" Actually, that's pretty representative of my feelings toward my entire first year of teaching.

No comments: